OK who said shabby chic HAD to be white? Well I like the idea but didn’t like the white idea. So I started with my sitting area and my 4 missed matched chairs (all very comfortable by the way).
Although I had already covered 3 of these before I took pictures, you still get the idea. These will be in an outdoor sitting area (eventually covered area, post soon to come). The top left had a red vinyl seat, the top right a black/gray checkered seat, the bottom right a mauve pattern and the bottom left is as seen.
The fabric I found in my stash seemed to be perfect. It was vinyl lined and the small dots that I decided match, I did (at least the best I could). Since I already had a black metal table that I didn’t want to repaint, I went with black and cinnamon. Although each chair was a different style, I tried to make sure each had at least a little of each color.
The table was already black and a friend gave me some plastic disks which I use on all my mesh tables. I touched up the table top and painted the disk cinnamon to bring it all together.
My next step will be to finish the one chair (cinnamon with black trim) and the bench. I may even paint the planter to match, it has a great design on it and I think it would look awesome cinnamon with the black detail/trim.
Funny the things you find in your own yard to create other things with. I just happened to have some cobbles, slate, concrete bricks, few steping stones and a pile of various gravel.
This is what I started with. Our yard slopes down towards the pond so I first I wanted it level. I worked on it some using just that area to get started. I had some cobbles in another area of the yard so I dug them up. I also had 9 pieces of slate and 5 concrete bricks along with 8 round stepping stones.
So first I had to build up and level the area so I used some long pieces of wood to frame it up. I also had approximately 2 tons of misc. gravel to be used on my walkway (eventually).
Once leveled, I started placing various size cobbles working from the outside edge inward. I also had an umbrella stand I used as a stand in for one of the stepping stones. Each item was placed with as much organization as I could muster.
With all of my items placed, I used some of the gravel to create a bank (of sorts) around the patio to help the rain water drain the way I wanted it to. I removed the wood frame and packed down the gravel. Watering the top helped find low spots or cobbles I bedded in too deep.
I let the patio settle and went to set my table and chairs on it to find out my table top I made needed a little tweeking.
So here is the almost finished project. The only things I will change from here are a white wash stain on table top, add a plant and grab a bag or 2 of pebbles to fill in the patio spaces. Stay tuned for updates.
I had alot of this and that leftover wood and wanted to do something with it…
This is located at the end of the walkway on one side of my pond. I wanted something to add character not necessarily for sitting. So I’ve added a sun catcher/wind chime (instructuins here) and will add some hosta under and maybe a planter with bright colors later.
I first figured out what shape frame I wanted (which changed twice during this process). I used 4×4’s for the legs, and various sizes of boards for the frame and top. The decorative bottom was purchased at Home Depot on clearance.
So this is complete for now. I am going to give it a season to get established to see how it turns out next year. I will post another updated picture later this year.
I saw a pin for Minion Cookies…looked simple enough. I could not find candy eyes so I made them myself…this is all you need… White icing, blue and black gel, a toothpick, Milano cookies and a piece of wax paper … Continue reading →
I found several pins on Pinterest that peaked my interest. I love color in my yard and these looked like a great place to start…
Theses are pretty and easy to make. You buy the clear-ish plastic pony beads form any craft store or might get luck and find them in a dollar store. You dump them into a round non-stick cake pan in a SINGLE layer (I bought 2 at the dollar store for just this purpose) and bake them in the oven on 400 for about 20 minutes. The less time you cook them for the bumpier they are on one side. If you prefer them a little smoother keep checking them every 5 minutes or so. The little ones were baked in a muffin tin. great ideas and instructions can be found here.
This one was based on a pin on pinterest using #6 plastic cups…I used #5 with the oven at 350. They did not turn out as smooth as the others but I like the uniqueness of it. You can find other options and the #5 cup process here.
OK, so I had this fake fig tree that lost most of its leaves, and since I hate to throw anything away, I came up with what I hope will be an awesome addition to my yard!
I grabbed a few supplies…paint (I chose green), an old plastic planter pot, my jig saw, a couple of planting tools, the seeds I chose and my poor tree.
I used my jig saw to cut off the bottom rim of the planter…
And slipped it over the tree. The branches on the fake tree are rubbery. I also left the existing leaves hoping it would help later.
What was left of the fake straw stuff, I used it as a little extra decor and pushed the pot into the foam. I didn’t want all of my watering to get wasted on the foam so I laid a piece of plastic under the pot and fake straw.
I added a few pine cones in the bottom, spot painted the fake straw and pot and added the dirt…
I chose Morning Glories (several varieties and colors) hoping they would climb and create a very unique flower tree.
Follow for updates…just since taking the pictures, I have sprouts! Come on color!
I first posted on April 16th, now it is sprouting and starting to climb. I have to admit, I am so excited! Stay tuned for more updates…